July 3, 2012 -
Last night I did take a chance with Homer Bailey and it paid off for 18 points at Fan Duel for only $6,100 in salary. Tonight, I realistically think I will get less than that, but the salary is even lower.
Meet Duane Below, a top young arm for the Detroit Tigers. He almost made the roster last year, but he was having control issues. Since then, walks per 9 innings pitched have come down from 3.41 to 1.08. Meanwhile, the strikeouts increased from 4.34 to 5.94 K/9IP. The risk, as always, is that he has been coming in from the bullpen, and there is no telling how long they will let him pitch. But that’s what gambling is about, and it is fun to see these things work out.
That leaves a lot of salary. Where to spend it?
- OF Jose Bautista is 2 for 5 previously against Mazzaro.
- SS Ian Desmond is 7 for 9 lifetime against Lincecum. Desmond is 12 for 29 in his last 6 games. A shame the start time for that game is 6:35, and so you can only use him in early leagues.
- 3B Miguel Cabrera is 14 for 31 against Blackburn in his career., with a slash line of .452./.485/.774.
- OF Austin Jackson also kills Blackburn, 8 for 17 with slash line of .471/.526/.647
- 2B Daniel Descalso is hitting .302 against lefties, and Jeff Francis and his 1.5 WHIP will be facing St Louis tonight
- OF Lucas Duda went 2 for 3 with a HR last time he saw Worley this year.
Try not to light anything on fire when setting off firecrackers in the next couple of days.