June 27, 2012 -
Many day games today, so I thought it worth it to get information out early. FanDuel has early only leagues, all day leagues, and late only leagues. Go crazy, you fantasy donkeys.
Yankees P Andy Petite is a reasonable $7,600. The White Sox’ Chris Sale has the clearly better strikeout number, and a weak matchup in Minnesota’s Nick Blackburn. But he is $9,900.
- C Russell Martin will definitely be cheaper. Having played with the Dodgers while Ubaldo Jimenez was with the Rockies, the Yankee catcher has seen him a lot and had success, to the count of 9 for 28. The problem is that he seems to hit no one else lately. A sub .200 BA has him on the bench. But if you can check the roster and find him playing, he may be worth the $3,000 in salary.
- 1B Joey Votto is 4 for 14 against Zack Greinke, but 3 of those hits are HR. He won’t be cheap, though, and there may or may not be people on base. Just about no other Reds hit Greinke well except Drew Stubbs.
- Speaking of which, OF Drew Stubbs is back and seems to have gotten healthy again. 3 for 6 in two games since coming back from the DL. And as mentioned he can hit Greinke, 6 for 14 lifetime.
- SS Yunel Escobar is 6 for 19 lifetime against Jon Lester, but he has done it with zero power. All singles. He is available for $3,000, though.
- 2B Dustin Pedroia is 9 for 26 against Ricky Romero for his career, and he comes in to the game batting 7 for his last 14 AB. $3,300.
- Anyone looks good against Josh Outman. 3B Ryan Zimmerman had a bunch of hits Tuesday night. No reason to think the lefthander with a WHIP of 1.68 will get him out. Because he has slumped lately, Zimmerman is only $2,900.
- OF Andre Ethier is a career .316 hitter against Tim Lincecum. That goes beyond this year, where Lincecum has struggled. Ethier can hit him. Good price for an outfielder, too, at $3,400.
- C Buster Posey is 10 for 22 against Chad Billingsley. Of course, Buster Posey is also the most expensive catcher out there at $3,700. Getting homeruns in 2 of the last 3 games will do that.
- Matt Holliday has not slumped lately, so he is not cheap at $4,200. But he is 6 for 11 lifetime against Anibal Sanchez with 2 HR. In the same good but not cheap department, Carlos Beltran is 6 for 16 against Sanchez and will cost $4,100 in salary.
- Jason Hammel has been surprisingly effective in the AL. But NL teams that had seen him before scored runs against him, including the Phils and the Nationals. ALbert Pujols has seen him before. Just sayin’.
- Last but definitely not least, as mentioned at the top, the Pirates will be facing the Philly bullpen all night. Any decent hitter with a reasonable price tag will be worth an investment. That includes 2B Neil Walker ($3,300), 1B Garrett Jones ($3,100), and OF Alex Presley ($3,100).