Last night I went on a West Coast Swing and recommended an absolute dud of a pitcher.
I’m sticking with the West Coast location for the pitching tonight, but I have hopes that this one will work out better. I certainly feel better about it, because Tommy Milone will be facing the Mariners, who are batting .195 at home as a team.
Milone does not have the best strikeout numbers, but he strikes out more than he walks (a fair 2.86 K/BB ratio) and his problem tends to be flyballs that turn into homeruns. Safeco and that weak Mariners offense should neutralize some of that. At $7000 of salary cap space on Fan Duel, Milone is not a bad choice.
For position players:
- Jonathan Sanchez pitched twice already against Detroit this year, with mixed results. But C Alex Avila hit a double off him in two plate appearances, and will only cost $3100 tonight.
- 1B Carlos Lee went 4 for 6 against Jake Westbrook last year, and his career slash line is .450/.511/.700 against Westboork. Lee is only $3100 at Fan Duel.
- SS Jose Reyes also has good numbers against Westbrook, including a high .750 slugging average against him in 12 at bats. Reyes has been slugging .388 this year, so this might be a cheap way to pick up some power.
- Barry Zito pitches against the Pirates and their surging offense tonight. That should not end well for him. 2B Neil Walker went 2 for 3 against Zito earlier this year and is $3800 a Fan Duel. That is not the cheapest second basemen, but not the most expensive, either.
- 3B Ryan Zimmerman has been inconsistent, which is the only reason you can still pick him up for $3500. Which I am doing against a leftie starter tonight.
- I appreciate what J.A. Happ did for the Phillies when he was with the team. None of that changes that OF Corey Hart has a slash line of .444/.545/.833 against him in 18 at bats. Hart is $3500 at Fan Duel.
- I also still appreciate what Kendrick did for the Phils in his first year. Begrudgingly. But he has base runners all the time, and OF Martin Prado was 3 for 5 against him last year with a homerun. Also, OF Michael Bourn is 5 for 10 against him.